The Tesla Model S is a luxury electric sedan with a spacious interior and a powerful electric engine. It combines elegance with high-performance capabilities, setting the standard for electric luxury cars. This Tesla Model S checklist will guide you through your buying experience.
(A) Tesla Model S Checklist: Pre-Pickup Items
1. Check all of Tesla’s paperwork for the correct name and address for all buyers.
2. Confirm the actual vehicle’s VIN matches all of your paperwork.
3. Verify that the vehicle’s body color, interior, options, and wheels match what you configured.
4. Bring proof of down payment having been made if sent before, and the final payment, if required.
5. Bring a printed insurance card if possible, if not, bring a digital copy.
6. Call the pickup location to confirm the vehicle is on-site (no delay in shipping).
7. Download the Tesla App.
(B) Tesla Model S Checklist: Exterior Inspection
1. Inspect body exterior paint for defects.
2. Inspect under the car for signs of damage or scratches from test drives or transport.
3. Check along all body panels for gaps or misalignment, especially the hatch gap, front trunk alignment, and general fender gaps.
4. Inspect wheel for damage or paint defects, confirm aerocovers are in the vehicle if equipped.
5. Inspect all glass. It should look clear with no damage. If the vehicle is equipped with double-pane glass, check for distortion at different levels.
6. Check for proper windshield trim installation.
7. Check black triangle applique at side mirrors for proper fitment.
8. Check for discoloration/rainbow hue of surrounding trim.
9. Test all doors to ensure they open and close easily.
10. Test opening and closing of the hatch with auto-close button. The hatch should latch and seal automatically.
11. Confirm the charge port can be opened from the outside with the vehicle unlocked.
12. If equipped, check edges of the spoiler for any signs of separation from the body.
13. If purchased, remove the rear access panel to confirm the Tow Package is installed.
14. Check all exterior lights and cameras for condensation.
15. Inspect all-weather seals around door gaps and windows for damage and fitment.
16. Confirm that there are 2 key cards in a sleeve with the vehicle.
17. Test unlocking and locking the vehicle by tapping the Driver B-Pillar with the key cards.
(C) Tesla Model S Checklist: In The Driver’s Seat
1. Verify the vehicle is charged at least 80% (if required for travel to home destination).
2. Set the driver profile and seat memory system.
3. Check for any error messages on the display screen.
4. Bring up the “Software” menu from the main screen. Confirm proper VIN and Spec.
5. From the software screen, confirm there is not a pending software download.
6. Navigate to the “Toybox” menu, bring up the sketchpad and let it sit for a minute or two. This is to confirm there are no Phantom Touches.
7. Try navigating to a set location to confirm navigation is completely loaded.
8. Test the wireless phone charger, remember you may need to remove your phone case.
9. Check each window operation for speed and any noises. Note that Double Pane glass will move slower than normal glass.
10. Make sure heat and air conditioning work at full power. Be sure to move your uni-vents all around and follow the airflow to confirm it works.
11. Make sure heated seat/steering wheel works.
12. Test the sound system to ensure all speakers are working, especially the amp.
13. Navigate the vehicle’s menu to your steering wheel and mirror adjustments, confirm both are working and have full movement.
14. Test the vehicle’s horn.
15. Test the vehicle’s exterior pedestrian speaker through the boombox application.
16. Check the windshield for a distorted view. Try this from the driver’s and passenger’s seat.
17. Test the windshield wipers.
18. Test the rearview camera and both blind spot cameras.
19. Test the turn signal cameras.
20. Check side mirrors folding and positioning operation.
21. Check sun-visor operation and mirror condition.
22. Check the rearview mirror for clarity.
23. Confirm the key cards start the vehicle.
24. Check that you can open the glovebox from the touchscreen.
25. Confirm that you can open and close the front trunk and hatch from the screen.
26. Test voice command.
(D) Tesla Model S Checklist: Interior Inspection
1. Inspect interior upholstery and all surfaces for damage or issues with build.
2. Check the windshield and windows for cracks, chips, or distortion.
3. Check all seat belts for proper operation and condition.
4. Check seats for noises – check all directions of adjustment.
5. Check that the rear seats fold down properly and pull up normally.
6. Make sure the passenger seat adjustment is properly attached and not broken.
7. Check for any extreme scratching on the piano black center console.
(E) Tesla Model S Checklist: Connectivity Inspection
1. Test power in USB ports – there are 2 USB-C plugs under the wireless charger and 2 USB-C chargers on the rear of the center console.
2. Check if the 12-volt DC receptacle has power.
3. Test the connectivity of the wireless phone charger.
4. Test music streaming and phone streaming.
5. Confirm that premium connectivity is activated.
6. Pair your smartphone to your vehicle via Bluetooth.
7. Confirm that you can connect to the local center’s WiFi.
8. Try navigating to websites using the vehicle’s browser.
9. Try connecting to Hulu, Spotify, or Netflix.
(F) Tesla Model S Checklist: Lighting Inspection
1. Check vanity mirror lights and front lights.
2. Check the dome light.
3. Check the driver and passenger door puddle lights.
4. Inspect/check all door lights.
5. Check glovebox operation, including light.
6. Check trunk lights.
7. Check headlights (low and high beam).
8. Check front and rear turn signal lights.
9. Check rear wing/quarter panel puddle light.
10. Check brake lights.
(G) Tesla Model S Checklist: Inspect Charging Ability
1. Check that the charge port door opens and latches correctly.
2. Check the charge port indicator light.
3. Test the charger on-site.
4. Test at Level 2 and Level 3 charger, if available.
(H) Tesla Model S Checklist: App Setup And Final Items
1. Sync the Tesla App to the vehicle.
2. If there are more than one driver, add them to the driver profile on the app and on the vehicle.
3. Set the App as the Vehicle’s key. Confirm all actions work accordingly.
4. Verify any additional items that were specified as being included with the purchase.
Disclaimer: Electric Vehicle Buyer Guides provided by EV Universe are for educational purposes only and do not constitute advice on the acceptability, performance, pricing or any other factor of the purchasing experience of a vehicle.
More on EV Universe:
- Explore More EVs: Check out our comprehensive listings page for detailed information on top electric vehicles.
- Shop EV Parts: We’re more than just a source of information. Browse our extensive marketplace for a variety of EV parts and products.
- Insights & Updates: Stay updated in the world of electric vehicles with our insights section. Dive into our in-depth reviews, educational pieces, and the latest news.